Friday, 11pm 4.6kms to the train station.

The nervousness has passed now, just waiting for the train to get to its destination. My first problem has risen! My pen died. I remembered packing a second one, searched all over for it and found it in the last possible pocket. These Arkel bags are great, but I think I need a map for them. Second Issue! I'm not even off the train yet. The rear fender mount was loose on the seatstay, Iíve fixed it with a screwdriver that I remembered to pack while trying to get some sleep this evening. I tried for 3 hours to sleep, I think I managed about 10 minutes in there. Oh well, Iíve done this ride before with less sleep and less rest. Everything will work out in the end.
  While testing my lights on the train I got into a light war with a fellow cyclist. He didnít seem shocked at my planned trip, and he wished me luck.

The two slices of pizza and bottle of Gatorade are settling in my stomach nicely. If I could just start this ride, another 30 minutes on the train, and I am out on the road. If I write this much next year, Iíll never get across Canada.

Saturday, 12:00pm (221.5 kms, 18.6km/hr 11hrs, 54minutes of riding time)

Oh wow, I made it to Kingston. Right on schedule, I pulled up to the ferry dock just as my clock turned 12:00 Noon. It was a VERY long night for me, probably the hardest ride Iíve done. A few issues, route changes and fun along the way.

Just as I got off the train, I met a kooky man on a Bike Friday Recumbent bike. He was looking for the best location to hitch-hike to Montrťal. Crazy! Crazy says the guy biking to Kingston :) He seemed surprised and interested in my trip, but we both had to get moving on our own and we quickly departed.

2kms down the road my right-rear back was rubbing against my rear wheel. A 10 minute struggle with its hooking system and I was back on the road again, with flashes of lightning in the back ground. All day Friday I watched the weather reports change from no rain, to rain, and back again. Somewhere off in the near distance there was lightning, and I started to think I made a mistake about doing the ride. I chanced it, and continued on. For the next two hours, Iíd see a burst of light somewhere, but never close enough to hear the thunder. I never saw any rain, or signs of rain. I counted my blessings.

About 2 hours into the ride I hear a voice, a voice saying 'Your light is dying' What? HUH? I look across the road to see another cyclist pass me in complete blackness. I'm not that tired yet! He was real! To make matters worse, my main light was dying. So out came my cheap 'AA' powered light. One problem, I never got around to fitting it on the new bike. The only way I could get it to fit on my bars was to place it over my bar-tape, right where my hand likes to be. One less hand position till morning.

Riding was pretty hard until I hit Port Hope. Lots of rolling hills and my body was not feeling too good. The back of my thighs were hurting and one of my knees.

Every time I reach Port hope, itís an uplifting experience. I'm not sure why, maybe itís the lights of the city, the next 15 kms are almost all lit. Maybe its just knowing there is services around. Either way, Port Hope is one of the uplifting parts of the ride.

Moving on from port hope, thru Colburg, Salem, and onto Brighton Shortly after 5am. With the sun emerging I was able to put away my back up light, regaining my favour spot on the bar. My stomach wasnít feeling to hot though, itís always off or on with me. I forced down cliffbars and mars bars when needed though, and soldiered on. I skipped through Trenton and Belleville as both cities were just waking up. Still quiet, but the early signs of activities were apparent. Stores opening, newspapers on the porches, the lineups at Timmies were growing. I made a pit stop to grab some more sports drinks and moved on, hoping to stop for breakfast later.

Breakfast was found in Napanee around 9, I wasnít down long, just enough of a stop to get french toast and bacon. I decided to change my route here, normally I stick along highway 2 on my way into Kingston, but my legs werenít up for those hills. I went south instead, down to Bath/Milhaven, and along the waterfront into Kingston. The roads were quieter and flatter than my normal route, and I think it only adds about 5 kms. I stopped off in Milhaven, the company I work for has a terminal there. I took my picture of at the front gates just for the guys at work. Then it was off into Kingston. The last 22 kms were slow, I just didnít have much to give for the small inclines.
  Saturday 11pm (268.9kms, 16.9avg, 15hours 53 minutes saddle time)

My day is finally done! After lugging my bike up 2 flights of stairs and into the lobby of Queen's Victoria Hall. I'm staying here overnight and riding back to Toronto tomorrow.

After reaching Kingston at noon, I hopped on the 12:30 ferry over to Wolfe Island. I wrote my journal on the ride. A 20 minute trip and onto the island. I tried calling my gf, but got no answer. I looked down at my clock and saw that I had 30 minutes to travel the 11kms across the island to the next ferry that would take me over to the USA. I hate this island, normally there is a strong head wind, and the cycling is usually hard. Today it wasnít that much of a problem, I 'sprinted' that 11kms in 25 minutes and made the ferry. The next one would have meant an hour long wait.
  Crossing into the USA was not an issue. The one guard was interested in my trip, but a few short questions and I was off. The last 11kms to my family reunion passed quickly and I pulled in at 2:30pm, 14 hours and 30 minutes, 245.1kms. 17.9km/hr average.

I stuck around at my family reunion till 6, most of my close relatives decided to skip this yearís event. Those that were there didnít really notice that I was riding till I was about to leave. A last minute flurry of questions and I was off.
  The Last Ferry back to Wolfe Island/Canada was at 7:30, I had lots of time. I waited at the dock with a couple of fathers and their young kids in cars. According to my schedule the other ferry back to Kingston left at 8:00, leaving me no time to make it, I was offered a lift across the island, but thatís cheating. Just as the ferry was getting ready to depart to the island 11 motorcycles pulled up onto the boat. They had just ridden to Rochester and back as a group. I felt out of place with 11 motorcyclists onboard.  
  I was the first to pull off the boat, and through Canadian customs. I started my trip across the island to the other ferry to Kingston. I had a head start but was quickly passed by 11 motorbikes, and the other two cars on the first ferry. I was in not rush, knowing I wouldnít make it across the island in time for the 8pm ferry. Eventually I was passed by a female cyclist and then her male companion, he was pretty tall and had an upright position so of course I did the smart thing and stole his draft for the last two kms. We pulled into the ferry loading zone at 8:20, and I was amazed to see it still unloading! WOOT! Turns out I had a very old schedule. The small kids were cheering that I had made it in time. Wow I got fans :) The trip over to Kingston was pleasant, I talked with the two cyclists that had dragged me the lat couple of kms, and the father and sons from the last boat. I gave the couple a business card, since I had taken a picture of them, and the seemed very nice.  
  I pulled off the ferry, and on the way to the hotel I got passed by those motorcyclist, they honked and wave, making me feel all warm inside, who knew?. I got to my room here at Victoria Hall, and ventured out to find a computer and food. I found some greasy burger king that hit the spot, but couldnít find a use-able computer. Totals for the day:268.9kms, 16.9avg, 15hours 53 minutes saddle time For me, that was my hardest day of cycling, Iíve done more in a day, but this ride just killed me. My legs were sore, my hands numb and I was just damn tired. It was great to finish though, itís the challenge that brings me back. Tomorrow, I start my ride home. The plan is to ride about 150-170kms and camp at one of the spots Iíve researched.